Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Summer Halter Dress

I had envisioned making a halter dress in a retro floral print, much like this fabulous dress by Gertie.  I did not find the floral print that I imagined (don't you hate that?), but was drawn to this little cotton print for some reason. I kept walking back to the bolt, and figured it was a sign.  I used to be the girl who wore only black and solid colors.  I decided a few years ago that I needed more color and more print in my life, and I've gone a little nuts. 




I used New Look 6789.  This was so easy, and a great option for a true beginner - I would highly recommend it to someone as a first project.  I did make a few adjustments - I cut a size smaller than I usually do, as all of my projects have ended up being huge from the waist up despite the measurements on the pattern.  I also tried to follow the instructions for the side zipper installation, then chucked it halfway through.  The facing/band across the bust did not line up evenly, so I basted the side seam from the top down, rather than putting in the zipper starting from the notches halfway down the side seam.  I followed the instructions on the zipper package, and it went in like a dream on the first attempt.  And no, I did not get a shot of the zipper, because I finished this at 1:00 in the morning, and did not feel like sewing on the hook and eye (gasp!  I know!) to keep said zipper neatly hidden. 



The only problem I see with the fit is how the back of the dress sort of scrunches down.  I'm not sure how I would fix this - the dress is pretty snug as it is, and I do like to breathe every so often. 

I absolutely would use this pattern again - maybe with the straps attached in the back rather than halter style.  It's light and perfect for summer.

1 comment: