Monday, July 8, 2013

Happy 4th!

We had friends over for the 4th.  It's by far one of my favorite holidays.  What can I say?  I love America. 

I confess that I am a lame blogger, and we were having such a great time and great conversation, that I forgot to take photos. 

Here's all I got:

Red, White & Blue parfaits for breakfast. Instead of sliced strawberries, I used some homemade strawberry jam.

We put flags all over the house for decoration.

 On the menu for the evening:  hot dogs (of course) and all the possible fixin's, baked beans, potato salad, tomato salad, fruit, and ice cream! I set out a bottle of Grenadine syrup and had Coke and Sprite so that people could make their own Roy Rogers and Shirley Temple drinks. 

These were so easy and fun to make. I bought a box of waffle cones from my local grocery store, and they even came with the red & white sleeves on them! I melted white chocolate, then dipped the cones in it, and lastly dipped them in a bowl of sprinkles.  I set them on a wax paper-lined baking sheet in the freezer to set.
 
 
YUM.
 I've been working on a few sewing projects this week, but those will probably be interrupted by some canning.  My grandparents have two fig trees in their yard, and I'll most likely be making some fig preserves, and then I have a bunch of jalapenos from my own garden that I'll combine with onions, garlic and carrots for pickling.  My cousin started pickling peppers from her garden several years ago, and I am addicted.  Happy little spicy things, those peppers...

No comments:

Post a Comment