Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I'm in a Pickle

I am the fortunate recipient of this little gem:


It's my grandparents' recipe, typed out by my grandmother.  Their garden is exploding with tomatoes, zucchini, corn, and cucumbers right now.  Cucumbers have not fared exceptionally well in my own garden, so I decided not to plant them this year.  Good thing, because the grandparents have plenty to share!

I made Bread and Butter pickles today, which is quite easy to do.  You prepare the cucumbers and cover with ice for 3 hours.  The actual cooking and canning took me 30 minutes from start to finish.  This is a great recipe to start with if you're just getting into the canning thing. 

Wash, drain and slice 4 quarts cucumbers
1 1/2 cups sliced onions
1 garlic clove
Combine in a large bowl or pot, add 1/3 cup pickling salt, and mix well.  Cover with 2 quarts of crushed ice.  Let stand 3 hours.

Drain and remove garlic.



Combine in a large pot:
4 cups sugar
1 & 1/2 teaspoons Turmeric
1 & 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
2 Tablespoons mustard seed
3 cups white vinegar

Bring this to a boil, then add cucumbers and onions, and cook for 5 minutes. 

Pack in hot jars, seal, and process jars for 5 minutes in boiling water.

Some tips for canning:
I have found it essential to have a canning kit - such as this one from Ball.  Trying to fish jars out of boiling water with a pair of tongs got old very quickly.  You'll need to have a large pot (mine is a 12-quart stock pot) filled about half-way with boiling water for processing the jars after filling them.  I also keep another saucepan on the stove with the lids and bands in simmering water.  After washing and drying the jars, I keep them warm on a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven.  It is important to work with hot jars, lids, and bands in order to get a proper seal when preserving.  Be sure to adhere to cooking times and use exact measurements, especially if making jellies and jams.  It's not rocket-science, but it is precise. 

Good luck, and good eating!






No comments:

Post a Comment