Monday, September 9, 2013

School Cramps My Style

The problem with starting a new blog during the summer is that one can easily be misled into thinking that she will have time to, 1: do anything creative on a regular basis, and 2: blog about it on a regular basis.  Then reality hits, and creativity comes only on the weekends.

The past two weekends have produced this little cutie:

I scooped this vintage pattern up from an antique mall - the dealer claims that it is from the 50s, although I might venture to guess that it was made in the 60s.  Either way, it's adorable and true to the pattern envelope - Jiffy.  Two main pattern pieces, kimono-style sleeves, and a belt.  We chose the pocket flaps, but the Little Girl wanted them to be placed below the waistline.  I used bias tape instead of doing a facing at the neckline - I am beginning to jump on the bandwagon of sewists who hate facings.

The dress took about 4 hours, from cutting until I finished the machine stitching. I am not too quick on the machine, but I'm improving.  The hand stitching to finish the bias trim took ages, but I am a fan of the blind stitch, so I deal with it.  Good television helps. This was FUN to make - I told my girl that she could have as many of these dresses as she wants.  Big grins ensued...



Terrible pictures, yet again, but this is what happens when one remembers that she should photograph the project moments before walking out the door for church on Sunday morning.  I cut the belt on the bias, which could have turned into a mistake because of the stretching of the fabric.  I did two lines of topstitching to reinforce it a little, and I think that solved the problem.


I told her to put her hand on her hip to better show the kimono sleeve, and she automatically threw the opposite hip out to the side.  She was pretty excited to be on the blog until I informed her that her face wouldn't make it.  Gotta protect the kiddos, ya know...

Obviously these photos do not do the dress justice.  Little Girl looked incredibly sweet, and she said that the sleeves were very comfortable.  Plans have been made already to wear it for school pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment