Sunday, October 20, 2013

If You Like Cheez-Its...

 
Try making them from scratch!

Is it easy? Yes! Is it cost-effective? Yes! Is it time-consuming? Yes! Am I insane? Yes!
But it is worth the effort! 

We love Cheez-Its.  We don't love the fake ingredients and the horrendous sodium content, so I did the obligatory Pinterest search, came up with a few recipes and then did my own thing. I recommend that you use cheese that is not straight out of the refrigerator, as I had trouble getting the dough to come together. It works much better if closer to room temperature.  I simply let my dough rest for 20 minutes, and it became more manageable.


8 oz. sharp cheddar, grated
4 Tbsp butter (room temperature)
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 cup flour*
2 Tbsp ice water

*I used white whole wheat flour, but any flour would work fine.

In electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix cheese, butter and salt.  Add flour and mix on low until dough is grainy. 

Slowly add water and mix until combined (dough will still be grainy).  Knead dough together until it forms a ball.  Roll out on a pastry sheet, very thin - about 1/8".  Cut with a fluted pastry wheel into 1" squares.

Set on a parchment lined baking sheet, or if using foil, spray lightly with cooking spray.  Use a bamboo skewer or toothpick and make a hole in the middle of each square. Sprinkle with a bit of Kosher salt.  Bake at 375 for 12-13 minutes.  Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.




Do not worry about how long these will keep.  They will not keep.  They will be eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment